Thursday, December 18, 2008

I'm delusional...

I seem to have overestimated my hand-sewing skills. By quite a bit.

I finished the little quilt binding on the machine in a snap. I was all pleased with myself, even treated myself to some cookies.

Then I sat down to the big quilt with my needle and thread.

Keeping in mind that I'd never done this before (I know, I know -- all those quilts and never hand-sewn a binding? For shame, Kate!), I allowed for some trial and error, some unstitching, and a few choice four-letter words, but basically envisioned myself whip, whip, whip stitching my way through it with AmandaJean efficiency and gift wrapping tomorrow night.

Dream on.

In the little time before and after work this week (which might well be the source of the problem: too friggin' much time spent at the office), I've gotten less than one side done. One side! Of a queen-sized quilt. Not even. In four days.

I was under the (apparently very mistaken) impression that this would go a lot faster. I calculated my actual foot-per-day progress, and if I continue at this pace, I will be done somewhere around January 23rd.

And two more quilts to finish in the next seven days.

Time for start hoping for a Christmas miracle!

4 comments:

MichelleB said...

I, too, tend to be a slow hand quilter. Mostly because I'm too much a perfectionist - if even a little bit of thread shows, I find that very upsetting! LOL However, when I had to get a quilt done, I tried to go faster, and did manage - but I had to let go of some of my perfectionism. But I HAVE to hand stitch the binding down - it just looks so much better that way to me.

Jennie said...

Try laying it out on a table instead of holding it in your lap ( if you are not already doing this). You won't have to adjust it as much, or support the weight as you work.I just work from one side of the table to the other, then move the quilt and keep going. I have bound a queen-size quilt in a day this way!

Rossie said...

Stitching down the back of the binding takes me forever, too! I can go faster if I just stop being so perfectionist about it.

Also, keep in mind that if you are giving the gifts to anyone local, you can wrap it up unfinished and give it...then take it back to finish the binding. I've done this a number of times with baby quilts where by baby shower time I have the patchwork done, but none of the quilting or binding. No one seems to mind so long as you get it to them before too long. Good luck!

jacquie said...

aren't miracles what christmas is all about! you'll get faster...keep plugging away! can you hear me cheering you on!!!!