Friday, January 28, 2011

Phew!

This project was going to be quick and easy little boy quilt -- one of those just-get-it-done tops to crank out in a day, or a weekend. I mean, what's simpler than sewing a couple really cute charm packs together...right?


Turns out it's only quick and easy if the charm packs aren't homespuns cut every way but straight. Some of the squares were so distorted and cut so crooked I couldn't use them; there were others that weren't much better but I could square them up a little by adding a solid corner. It worked in some cases, but there are a lot of places where it looks like I had my eyes closed when I pieced it.

It was frustrating, because the last time I used homespuns, I painstakingly ironed and cut the plaids as straight as I possibly could. I was annoyed most of the time I was piecing this one that Moda, with all its cutting technology, couldn't even come close.

But rather than keep that bee in my bonnet, I'm choosing to revel in its "rustic" feel. Some things aren't worth getting worked up over, and I don't think Baby Jack is going to care very much when he arrives, either.

[Fabric:  Two "Sunshine" by April Cornell charm packs and various Kona solids]

7 comments:

Cathy said...

I feel for you. I came to quilting via garment construction (which I learned in Home Ec at Covington Jr. High). I continue to believe stripes and plaids need to be square and on straight of grain, but apparently the quilting fabric manufacturers have not heard of these rules!

elle said...

Oh dear! But it is very beautiful. Really!

gale said...

All that hard work paid off-it looks fabulous!! I love plaids and stripes but they scare me. lol

Sharon said...

I think it looks wonderful! But I LOVE plaids and off-kilter is just fine with me. I love the little hour-glasses you added - they're very playful!

I think you'll find that once this is quilted and washed, most of the 'unstraightness' of it won't be so obvious. And baby Jack will love it to pieces!

Vicky F said...

Hi Kate
Sending warm thoughts your way. I know Chicago got blasted yesterday. My weatherman used to live in Chicago so he mentions Chicago in his blog quite frequently (Bill's Blog, WOOD-TV 8).
Vicky F
West Mich (we "only" got 14 inches in 15 hours in my neighborhood)

jovaliquilts said...

Sometimes I like my stripes perfect, and sometimes it's fun if they're wonky, but *I* like to decide -- I'd be so annoyed if I bought a poorly cut charm pack.

CraftHappy said...

Despite the annoyance you encountered, the quilt is "charming" and I love it! Yellow and blue with green thrown in - a winning combination - is so cheerful for a baby boy. I am sure Jack will love it.