Friday, August 5, 2011

Another UFO in the works...

As a respite from all the flood frenzy, I resurrected yet another UFO. I was working on it when the building browned out on Sunday and the day turned upside down.

My mother had picked out these jewel-tone zinnia fabrics quite a few years ago (2006? 2007?), and I'd promised to make her a lap quilt. For some reason, though, I couldn't wrap my head around them; a pattern just wouldn't gel in my head despite several starts, so they got set aside to await inspiration. It's been a long time coming.


I made at least three attempts on this project over the years: first some crazy quilt blocks, like these from "More Quits from The Quiltmaker's Gift"...


...then a colorwash pattern inspired by "Pieced Stripes" quilt in "Glorious Patchwork"...


...then more recently -- though I don't remember exactly when -- I framed the flowers (some of them fussy cut) with white.

These squares, of the three alternatives, seemed like the easiest and safest route to pursue, so I finished framing about a dozen more flowers and have about 40 ready to go...


...I'm just not sure where. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

it's a great start!!!