Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Time for binding...

Continuing the momentum, I'm on to binding this week.

I don't know if this is a unique approach or not, but I roll my binding up on an empty cardboard spool after it's ironed. It keeps it nice and tidy, and besides, I like taking pictures of it all wound up like that.


(By the way, this is the backing I found in my stash for the Wiggly Horror top. I have no idea where or when I bought this, or why. But it's PERFECT. No spitup stains here! Or at least none you can see!)

Anyway, while it's a great way to keep the binding neat and wrinkle-free, it can be a challenge to keep it from running away. I got really tired of the roll dropping off my lap or the sewing table and having to chase it across the kitchen floor, so came up with a couple different ways to contain it. This was by far the best solution:


I put the spool on my machine's knee lift, and put a pin in it to keep it from unfurling. Feed a comfortable length out, put the pin back, and keep going until it's done.

Works like a charm!

2 comments:

Susan said...

What a clever idea! I'll be trying that as it beats having yards of binding trail all over the floor.

Empty Closet Quilting said...

Looks like a winner. I prefer a huge tangle at my feet that makes me laugh as I work. Thanks for the reminder - I have binding to do!