Monday, November 23, 2009

Beach blanket bingo...

It's very rare that I start and finish a quilt in one fell swoop -- that is, cut, pieced, quilted and bound without starting in on another project first. Typically, I get through the piecing phase and then bounce off to something else (and something else, and something else...) and don't get back to the actual quilting and finishing until, say, two days before I have to deliver it. So I don't know why this one was an exception.

If I overanalyze the process that went into this, I might find a cure for my Crafter's A.D.D. -- and that would ruin my creativity forever! I won't even begin to think about it.

Anyway, here's the quilt. And Lea, if you're reading, you might want to stop now, because this is your Christmas present.

My sister-in-law Lea loves purple and orange together. So rather than impose these big bold prints on the interior design of their house (which is most decidedly not purple and orange), I made the family a beach blanket. They have a vacation home high on a bluff above Lake Michigan near Ludington, MI, where they spend most of their summers hanging out on the sand.

Nothing fancy, I used 10" alternating blocks in fun "Finlandia" Merimekko-like Free Spirit prints that I've had hanging around for a few years just waiting for this kind of project. I put rock pockets in the corners and bound it with my favorite bright green-on-green print. For some reason, I just love this orange/purple/green color combination!



The back is from the same fabric line, though I stitched down some green squares here and there so the binding wouldn't come as such a shock.



It's a happy quilt, destined for some happy times. And finished more than a month before it's due!

To celebrate the rarity of a quilt conceived and completed well inside its deadline, I'm having my first-ever giveaway! I'm offering a yard of each of these gargantuan "Finlandia" prints (floral, squiggle and boxes, three yards total...and OK, they're big, but not "gargantuan," I just like that word) to a lucky reader who has left me a comment since I started this blog (and today doesn't count, sorry).

Just leave a comment and let me know what your favorite Thanksgiving side dish is. And thank you for all your responses over the past sixteen months -- it really is nice to know someone's actually reading my words and they aren't just dissipating into the blogosphere! Entries will be accepted through this Wednesday and the winner picked (randomly or, perhaps the one with the best-sounding side dish? Who knows?) at noon on Black Friday. One entry per person, please.

My first giveaway! I'm getting all excited about picking a winner already!

18 comments:

Michele said...

I love my family's French lentils. For Thanksgiving we flavor them with the turkey neck and garlic. It's good to be French! Happy Turkey Day to you!

Kris said...

I love this quilt! The colors are amazing! I like the way you're doing your giveaway too!

Dottie's Daughter said...

Great job on the quilt. My favorite side is orange sweet potatoes, a mixture of whipped sweets, brown sugar and mandarin oranges. Just delicious.

Unknown said...

The quilt colors are just beautiful!! I love the combos and the prints. She will love it! The way that you are doing the giveaway is fantastic. Good luck to all!

elle said...

ADD, ah, I relate! But such a gorgeous quilt. I think pumpkin pie may not be a side dish so I'll need to think some more!

Mary P said...

Sweet potatoes! No marshmallows or brown sugar, just straight up sweet potatoes with some toasted walnuts. Yum!

zarina said...

I can't rmbr if I have commented earlier. Anyway my favourite dish is the turkey and cranberry sauce. Yumm

quiltermom2 said...

Aww I L.O.V.E. these colors together...and I KNOW my sister-in-law does too...
So anyway my favorite dish is def. the sweet potatoes.. but we do something different... we do sweet potatoes cut up into "fries" and bake them with some homemade carmel sauce and of course for the kids we do the original sweet potatoes with brown sugar and marshmellows...yummmm! Keep blogging cause you are so INSPIRATIONAL!

Sharon said...

Wow, not only is your quilt gorgeous (I've learned to love those colors together!), but finished ahead of time. I wish I could do that!

My favorite side dish....hhmmmm, that's hard. I love them all, but I guess I'd have to go with mashed potatoes and gravy. I don't get that much these days! Pumpkin pie is my true fav, but it's dessert. Have a happy Thanksgiving!

elle said...

oh dear! I dreamt I didn't finish dinner. So pumpkin pie should be a side dish for ADD sufferers! What a great give away!

Anonymous said...

Love it!!! I'm working on a similar quilt. My favorite side dish is the stuffing. Hands down!!!

Vicky F said...

Hi Kate,
Like your big, bold quilt! You never know, they may just want to use it inside.

My favorite side-dish is stuffing as long as it is loaded with mushrooms and celery. Otherwise I like my dad's homemade cranberry/orange/apple relish.
Vicky F

Callipygian said...

I don't eat meat, so all of my favorite Thanksgiving foods are side dishes. Stuffing is probably my favorite, because a vegetarian version is exciting to find at a Thanksgiving dinner -- it's usually made with chicken broth or bacon or cooked stuffed inside a turkey. Ooh, and I love mashed potatoes, with each bite mixed with a bit of something else on the plate.

Stephanie D said...

Cranberry-orange relish! THE best side dish!

And the purple-orange-green combo? Halloween colors--my fave!

MichelleB said...

What a tough question! The sides are my favorites. But, I'll have to go with stuffing. Love it!

Cheryl Arkison said...

I love coming here! And I lvoe that orange print you used. What a great combo.

jovaliquilts said...

Bummer, I was out of town and missed the chance to enter your great giveaway! Those are awesome fabrics. I still remember how, when I was a teenager (back in the late 60's), I desperately wanted a purple and orange dress I saw. The lime green is a perfect accent! Love the idea of rock pockets.

jacquie said...

i'm kicking myself...hard for missing this one...i LOVE those prints and even the purple. arrrg! are they still available...please say yes.