Thursday, January 22, 2009

Stash wranglin'...

My workspace has gotten out of control. To the point I don't know what I have in my stash, or can't find that cute orange tone-on-tone I bought last summer, or even the three yards of Kona Snow I use for every other quilt top I make.

I organized my scrap bin after I started the improv blocks, but hadn't addressed the stack of clear plastic bins in one corner filled with fat quarters and bigger pieces, or the UFO pile in the other. On a high from reading my new books and itching to start my improv project, I thought it best to organize first, get in the right mindset, start clean.

I've seen so many pictures on other blogs of color-coded neatly folded piles, easily accessible for spontaneous creating...that's what I wanted. Bins of just yellows, black and white prints, and greens. One bin bursting with blues.

So I emptied everything and started to sort into piles: colors, UFOs, kits, more scraps, random leftover/experimental blocks, non-cotton fabrics, etc.

It was much more than I'd bargained for. And while Archie enjoyed the empty bins and long tails of selvage strung across the kitchen floor, by Sunday evening we were both pretty irritated that there wasn't any place to sit in my kitchen. Or living room. There was no place to eat, because there was fabric everywhere.

Picture this multiplied by purple, green, orange, red, turquoise, black & white, yellow, and twice as much blue. And then factor in some multi-colored prints that didn't belong anywhere so they got yet another pile:

A big pile o' pink

I got it all sorted out and started refilling the bins -- and it wouldn't all go back. I let the damn stuff out and it started multiplying in my kitchen! I should have known not to put the blue and yellow next to each other, because now I've got even more green than when I started! Or at least it seems that way.

So instead of "starting clean," and jumping into my sewing, my table is still piled with that which will not fit. Which means another trip to the Container Store for more bins.

Hi, my name is Kate, and I'm addicted to fabric.

I knew there was a reason I'd cut myself off!

7 comments:

MichelleB said...

I think you need to show a picture of what you have sorted so far. Because then I can compare and hopefully you'll have more than me! LOL Yes, I need to stop too. And I will. Just as soon as my latest purchases come in.

Sharon said...

See, ya gotta be careful when you "fluff" your fabric. It adds volume and then it won't fit back where it was! I have the same problem. And yes, I cut myself off too. It's not helping...or working! I have to admit this has become a serious addiction!

Stephanie D said...

I'm with you there! I'm dreading putting everything back into the sewing room, because I find so much I want to get started on or need to finish, I get frozen in indecision. However did I accumulate so much?

Marit said...

I can sympathise with you. Finding a system that works for sorting fabric, and then finding enough place to store it like that - big challenge. My only hope is to keep using some of it to create more space. But that takes time... And sometimes it hurts to have to cut into those georgeous pieces of fabric, too - so let's save them for later...
; )

Ann said...

I think you have begun a great process! Just the fact that one sees all the lovely fabrics once again, that may generate more bags of UFO's, but heck! Then it does not fill up in the FIRST pile *giggle*.

Thanks for sharing the seamingly most common problem among us quilters. ....And remind me that I have a jpb to do with my stash too!

jacquie said...

i want to help...maybe i could come over and we could play fabric sorting!

Mary Johnson said...

Fabric sorting is the pits and once you get it straight, you'll just mess it up again.

I don't know how you do it in bins, I find shelves are the easiest way and I can see at a glance what I have.